Second Language Acquisition Certificate
A Montessori- and autonomous language learning- based training course for teachers of second languages
Course start: 10 – 12 September 2021 at Montessori Campus Berlin Köpenick
Upper primary and lower secondary schools (grades 4-12)
The aim of the course is to merge Montessori principles and principles of Language Learner Autonomy to enable participants to further develop their didactic approach.
Practical examples will be given throughout the entire course.
The advanced training is for interested teachers from all school contexts, from primary school from grade 4 (E2) to the Abitur (E3).
The course will be held in English (main course language), Spanish and German. It is not expected that participants speak all three languages but you need a basic English level.
COVID-19 protection methods: The safety of our participants comes first. More information on our COVID-19 protection methods will be published here soon. This course is based on personal presence. You`ll receive information about our COVID-19-protection methods 14 days before each module (via email). In case you have any questions, don`t hesitate to contact email@example.com or +49 (0)30 214 801844.
from 10 September 2021 until 2 April 2022
Content and organisation: 5 modules
Each module lasts 3 days, Friday – Sunday;
Friday: 5-8 pm, Saturday: 9 am – 5 pm, Sunday: 9 am – 4 pm
- Module 1: September 10 – 12, 2021
- Module 2: December 10 – 12, 2021
- Module 3: January 21 – 23, 2022
- Module 4: February 18 – 20, 2022
- Module 5: April 1 -2, 2022
Module 1: Montessori Basics
We focus on the principles of the Montessori Method that can be transferred to second language acquisition.
- Characteristics of the second and third stages of development and their significance for foreign language teaching and task identification.
- Role of the teacher, planning of the three-period lesson in relation to the different stages of development
- Discipline and freedom/ choice and perceived control
- Human tendencies and the prepared language environment
- Hand and head work
- Prepared environment: developmental-material work (grammar)
- Peace education as part of second language acquisition
Module 2: Language Learner Autonomy/ Autonomous foreign language acquisition Basics
We give an overview of the basic principles and the associated theory, research and practice and discuss the prepared environment and structures of autonomous foreign language learning.
- The Autonomous Language Classroom
- Procedures and Principles
- The Work Cycle
- Choice and control
- Accompaniment Differentiation/ Classroom Management
- Skills: reading, writing, speaking, etc./ RLP references
Module 3: Peace Education/ Internationalisation and Intercultural Learning
Peace education and Maria Montessori’s Nazione Unica as a basic component of Montessori pedagogy are the cornerstones of this module. We show ways to internationalise schools and to use Europe as a school of social learning.
- Internationalisation and Foreign Language Pedagogy
- International projects of various formats
- Internationalisation as part of the school concept
- Building partnerships
Modul 4: Merging Learner Autonomy and Montessori Principles
In this module we deepen the role of the teacher in everyday life. In addition, participants will begin to design their own project with the corresponding materials. As Critical Friends, the group counsels on the resulting projects.
The highlight will be a „coffee house“ in the various foreign languages.
- Prepared second language environments and autonomous learning
- Self-expression as a fundamental component of language acquisition
- Literature, media, theatre
- Guidance during the learning process, from project introduction to production
- Qualitative feedback, rubrics
- Assessment and self-assessment/ dealing with mistakes/ portfolio
Module 5: Final presentations
The participants present their final theses. Module 05 ends on Saturday 16:00 hrs.
- Montessori Campus Berlin Köpenick, Berlin-Köpenick (MCBK)
(Montessori Campus Berlin Köpenick: head teacher)
Natalia de Olavarrieta
(Deutsch Skandinavische Gemeinschaftsschule: head teacher)
Montessori Bildung gGmbH (Montessori Education gGmbH)
1.000,00 EUR (all modules)
If you have any questions considering the courses content please contact Annika Albrecht (firstname.lastname@example.org).